We've been learning about the history of Dubai...
Today's post comes from Jonah. He has been studying Dubai's culture and history as part of history and geography.
Hi Jonah here,
Here are some of the facts I wrote in my fact file.
1. Dubai was a British port and territory.
2. The Maktoum family rules Dubai and has done so for hundreds of years.
3. The discovery of oil meant that the huge city we see today could be built.
4. The current Sheiks (that's similar to a king) of Dubai and Abu Dhabi were the instigators of creating the UAE (united arab emirates).
5. Dubai hosts many international sport events. Tennis and horse racing most notably.
6. Pearl diving was one of Dubai's original large trades.
7. Dubai has the tallest building in the world.
8. Dubai is famous for its trading and souks (like big open markets where you can find just about anything) but more specifically gold, spices and textiles.
9. Camel racing is a popular past time in Dubai.
10. Dubai has an indoor ski slope with penguins.
I hope you've learned a few interesting things about Dubai. Here are some pictures we have to share.
- Jonah from Lightning Class